Last updated: February 4, 2019
Your privacy is important to us. Giant Tiger Stores Limited, G.T. Wholesale Limited, Tora SG Limited, and franchisees of Giant Tiger Stores Limited (collectively referred to as “Giant Tiger”, “we” or “us”) are committed to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your Personal Information. This includes Personal Information collected at our retail stores, through our websites (gianttiger.com and tigregeant.com), and through our marketing communications, contests, surveys, loyalty programs and promotions.
- Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual. For example, this can include your name, email, phone number, and purchase history.
- We may collect your Personal Information to provide you with products and services when you make a purchase at Giant Tiger (in-store or online), and to send you offers tailored to your interests, for example, when you sign up for our loyalty program.
- We use your Personal Information to give you a better shopping experience in-store and online, to send you offers and contests we think you will be interested in, and to protect against fraud and theft or meet our legal requirements.
- We occasionally share Personal Information with third parties in order to support Giant Tiger’s collection or use of your information where we have received your consent, unless otherwise required by law.
- We ensure the use of reasonable and appropriate privacy and security safeguards to protect your Personal Information.
- We provide a few different options if you wish to change your privacy choices around how your Personal Information is used or disclosed by Giant Tiger.
B. What is Personal Information?
Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual or information that could reasonably become identifiable. For example, Personal Information can include your name, email, phone number, and purchase history. Personal Information does not include aggregated information that does not reasonably allow an individual to be identified. If we tie non-personal information that we collect to your Personal Information, that information becomes Personal Information.
C. How We Collect Your Personal Information
Giant Tiger collects Personal Information from you to provide you with products and services when you make a purchase at Giant Tiger (in-store or online), and to send you offers tailored to your interests, for example, when you sign up for our loyalty program.
The Personal Information we collect may include, but is not limited to, your name; physical address; telephone number; email address; purchase details; payment information; language, store, and shopping preferences; birthday or age range; household composition; and gender.
- How we collect Personal Information in our stores
We may collect Personal Information from you at our retail stores when you:
- Make an in-store purchase
- Pick up a purchase made online
- Ask for a refund or exchange a product
- Sign up to receive communications from Giant Tiger
- Sign up for our loyalty program
- Participate in a contest or promotion at our stores or online
- Sign up to participate in a marketing survey or focus group
- Your participation in focus groups may be recorded
- Contact or ask for help from Customer Service
- Apply for employment with us
- If you have questions on how we protect information collected, used, or disclosed for recruitment or employment purposes, please contact our Privacy Office
This information can include your name, email address, physical address, payment information, a signature and/or identification check (e.g., to pick up a purchase or return a product), telephone number, and purchase details.
We may also ask you for Personal Information to protect against fraud (e.g., identity theft), loss prevention, or to comply with legal requirements.
In-store Third Parties
Giant Tiger stores provide space and work with other organizations to provide specific services.
- Western Union to provide money transfer services in select Giant Tiger stores
- We Financial to provide reloadable prepaid credit card services in select Giant Tiger stores
- Shipping vendors to complete deliveries of our products to our stores or your specified location
- How we collect Personal Information over the phone
We may collect Personal Information from you over the phone (for example, if you call Customer Service or send us a text message) when you:
- Ask us a question
- Have a complaint about a product or service
- Ask for a refund or exchange of a product purchased
- Have technical issues with one of our websites or your GT ID account
- Would like to receive a link to sign up for our loyalty program
- How we collect Personal Information on our websites
We may collect Personal Information from you through our websites when you:
- Sign up for communications from Giant Tiger
- Create a GT ID account to use when:
- shopping online
- interacting with our app
- managing your communication preferences
- Make an online purchase
- Ask us to ship an order to a store near you or a specific location
- Ask for a refund or exchange of a product ordered
- Sign up for our loyalty program
- Participate in a contest or promotion through our website
- Sign up to be part of or participate in a marketing survey or panel
- Send us a question or complaint
- Apply for employment with us
- Browse on our websites
- How we collect Personal Information through our loyalty program
We may collect Personal Information from you through our loyalty program when you:
- Enroll in Giant Tiger’s loyalty program and provide your contact information in store or online through your GT ID account
- Download and use the loyalty program mobile application (“app”)
- We may collect Personal Information and non-personal information about your current location; your usage of the app, including offers viewed and opt-out preferences; and your device, including its unique identifier. Most devices allow you to disable location tracking; however, if you do so, you may not be able to use some or all features of the app
- Provide us with your demographic information, language, shopping preferences and communication preferences within your GT ID account
- Provide us with your phone number or loyalty program identification number in store at checkout
- Shop online using your GT ID account, where you have opted in to our loyalty program
- How we collect information automatically through your browser
We collect information from you when you interact with our websites. While we do not require your Personal Information in order for you to access our websites, we may collect information about you that is not Personal Information, such as the type of internet browser or computer operating system you are using and the domain name of the website from which you linked to our websites.
When you view our websites, we may store some information on your computer in the form of a "cookie" or similar file. Cookies allow us to recognize when you use or return to our website, for example, in order to tailor our website or promotions to better match your interests and preferences. Most Internet browsers enable you to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.
Giant Tiger may tie non-personal information that we collect automatically (such as the type of internet browser that you use) to Personal Information that you provide to us with your consent (such as when you create or use your GT ID account).
We use third party service providers to place ads that we think will interest you on Giant Tiger or other websites (interest-based advertising, also called online behavioural advertising). Giant Tiger allows third party service providers to collect certain non-personal information when you visit our websites and to use that information to serve ads for Giant Tiger products or services or other companies’ products or services when you visit our websites. The information (e.g., clickstream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) is used during your visits to Giant Tiger’s websites and other websites to provide advertisements about products and services that also may be of interest to you. These parties typically use a cookie or a web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice or to manage your choices (e.g., opt-in or opt-out) for this type of advertising, you can visit the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada Website (https://iabcanada.com/).
We use Google Analytics to collect non-personal information on visitors to our website in order to provide us with statistics on website activity. If you would like to opt-out of Google collecting your browsing history, please find more information on how to do so, including how to download their browser add-on, here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
- Information Collected from Other Sources
We may occasionally obtain information from other sources that help us analyze, update, expand our records and identify new guests (e.g., updating contact information or adding demographic information). Giant Tiger uses this information to improve our ability to contact you and increase the relevance of our marketing to you. These companies must follow privacy laws and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation when collecting and sharing the information with Giant Tiger.
D. How We Use Your Personal Information
We use your Personal Information to give you a better shopping experience in store and online, to send you offers and contests we think you will be interested in, and to protect against fraud and theft or meet our legal requirements.
For example, we use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
Product and Service Fulfillment
- Fulfill and manage purchases, orders, payments, returns/exchanges, or requests for information, or to otherwise serve you through our stores or websites
- Communicate with you about your requests or purchases
- Register and provide services related to your GT ID account
- Provide Customer Service and provide alerts related to products available or purchased at Giant Tiger, such as product recalls
- GT Financial services, including providing income tax, cheque cashing, and commercial credit services within select Giant Tiger stores
- Financial information, such as T4s, may be collected and retained in order to process income taxes, in accordance with legal retention requirements
- Process orders or contact you about an order at a pharmacy located within select Giant Tiger stores
- Consider job applications
- Personal Information you submit to us at a Giant Tiger store or through our websites in order to apply for a job, including contact information and your employment history, may be used for recruitment or employment purposes
- Marketing Purposes
- Deliver coupons, promotions, sweepstakes, contests, newsletters, regular flyers, emails, as well as mobile coupons and messages you have chosen to receive
- Send marketing communications and other information you have chosen to receive regarding products, services and promotions
- Administer promotions
- Administer sweepstakes and contests
- For example, the information we collect when you participate in sweepstakes and contests could be used for marketing purposes, such as sending you offers or coupons we think you would be interested in
- Loyalty Program
- Enable customer enrollment in Giant Tiger’s loyalty program
- Provide tailored offers, coupons, and other promotions to loyalty members based on specified interests or purchases
- Perform analytics on an aggregate basis to provide better products at Giant Tiger stores and online for customers
- Administer the loyalty program and related communication lists, including keeping up-to-date contact information, and managing consents, opt-ins or opt-outs to receive communications from Giant Tiger
- This information will generally include your name, phone number, email, postal code, preferred store and your preferences around language and receiving email or text message communications from us
- This information may also include (where you choose to provide it to us) your birth date, your age or age range, your gender, your shopping preferences, your clothing categories of interest (e.g., Fashion – men’s), and your household composition
- Improve the effectiveness of our websites, stores, and website mobile experience
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys to improve our product and service offerings
- Where you opt-in, we may share your contact information with our third party research partners to contact you regarding optional participation in customer research or opinion studies
- Perform internal business and troubleshooting activities to support our core operations, such as accounting, information systems, and audit functions
- In order to meet our legal requirements and to protect Giant Tiger from any illegal or fraudulent activities, or any activities that put the security or integrity of Giant Tiger operations, websites, stores, employees or customers, at risk. For example, to:
- Investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities or to assist government enforcement agencies
- Exercise or protect the rights, property or personal safety of Giant Tiger, our users, employees, agents or others
- To help answer your questions about products and services available for purchase at our stores or through our websites, including pricing, availability of products, and refunds
- Our associates may ask you to produce identification at the time of refund if, for example, you are returning a product without a receipt
- To answers questions about our social media accounts or using social media to interact with Giant Tiger
- To answer questions or complaints about your experience at Giant Tiger stores or using our website
- To answer questions about our loyalty program or communication lists, including changing your preferences for topics within those communications
- To respond to or complete Personal Information access and correction requests
Only authorized employees and third party providers have access to your Personal Information for the uses described above. We take reasonable and appropriate steps to handle this Personal Information as securely as possible and in compliance with federal and provincial Canadian privacy laws.
E. How We Share your Personal Information
Giant Tiger does not sell customer Personal Information to any other organization or person for any reason. Giant Tiger will only share or disclose Personal Information to third parties in order to support Giant Tiger’s collection or use of your information for purposes outlined in the section titled How We Use Your Personal Information where we have received your consent, unless otherwise required by law.
- Services providers and suppliers
Legal requirements and law enforcement disclosures
We do not disclose any Personal Information to third parties without your consent, unless required by law, legal process, law enforcement investigation or fraud detection and prevention. In limited circumstances, Personal Information may be shared in order to meet our legal requirements and to protect Giant Tiger from any illegal or fraudulent activities, or any activities that put the security or integrity of Giant Tiger operations, websites, stores, employees or customers, at risk.
For example, we may need to disclose your Personal Information in order to:
- Investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities, including fraud, or to assist government enforcement agencies
- Exercise or protect the rights, property or personal safety of Giant Tiger, our users, employees, agents or others
This information may include your name, contact information, purchase details, payment and shipping information, and information collected through your browser (such as IP address).
Business Transfers or Mergers
Any third party to which Giant Tiger would transfer or sell its assets will have the right to continue to use your personal and other information, provided that they comply with applicable federal and provincial privacy legislation in Canada governing use and disclosure of your information in such circumstances.
F. Retention of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected, except where otherwise necessary to comply with legal requirements. We may keep your Personal Information for a reasonable time afterwards in the event that you wish to resume service.
- For example, we may retain your login information for a reasonable period of time after you ask us to delete your GT ID account, in the event you wish to restore your account at a later date
Once the Personal Information is no longer required, Giant Tiger ensures that this Personal Information is securely destroyed or anonymized (so that the information no longer is identifiable as information relating to you). We have strict procedures in place with respect to destroying, deleting or disposing of Personal Information when it is no longer required for the purposes set out in this policy, or by law.
G. How to Access or Correct your Personal Information
When Giant Tiger collects your Personal Information, we take reasonable measures to keep your information up to date and accurate. Where you provide us with your Personal Information, we assume the information you have provided us with is accurate. We will not make additional efforts to verify its accuracy or to update the information, unless requested by you.
Where you wish to update or correct your Personal Information, you may do so in the following ways:
- Logging into your GT ID account and updating your profile information (where you have created a GT ID account)
Upon your request, you will be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and you will be given access to that information, where reasonable and subject to certain legal limitations. You may challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate. Administrative charges may apply, where reasonable and legally permissible.
We will assist any customer who informs us that they need assistance in preparing a request concerning their Personal Information. For assistance, please contact our Privacy Office.
H. How to Make or Change your Privacy Choices
- You can let us know your preferences when you create a GT ID account, or modify your preferences at any time within your GT ID account
- You can opt-in to receive marketing emails when you enter into a contest or promotion by checking a separate box, or through your GT ID account (where you have created one)
- You can opt-out of receiving marketing emails by clicking “unsubscribe” within any marketing email you receive, or through your GT ID account (where you have created one)
- You can opt-out of receiving text messages by replying “STOP” to any text message you receive, or through your GT ID account (where you have created one)
- By contacting our Privacy Office to change your preferences, opt-out, or receive more information on changing your preferences on any of the above
We would also like to assist you in understanding your choices and making privacy decisions on information collected by our third party service providers. This includes the following:
- When you view our websites, cookies allow us to recognize when you use or return to our website, for example, in order to tailor our website or promotions to better match your interests and preferences. Most Internet browsers enable you to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions. To learn more about how to block, delete and manage cookies on your computer, please see the below links based on the browser type you are using:
- We use third party service providers to place ads that we think will interest you on Giant Tiger or other websites (interest-based advertising, also called online behavioural advertising). To learn more about how our third party service providers use web beacons or cookies for behavioural advertising and to manage your choices (e.g., opt-in or opt-out) for this type of advertising, you can visit the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada Website (https://iabcanada.com/).
- We use Google Analytics to collect non-personal information on visitors to our website in order to provide us with statistics on website activity. If you would like to opt-out of Google collecting your browsing history, please find more information on how to do so, including how to download their browser add-on, here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
- We embed links to other websites, including social media websites, on our Giant Tiger websites. For more information about social media plug-in protocols, such as the Facebook “Like” button and its impact on your privacy rights, please visit the appropriate social media help center (e.g., Facebook’s Help Center at https://www.facebook.com/help/).
- To change your privacy settings on Facebook, including who can view your activity when using your Facebook account, visit: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy.
Giant Tiger uses reasonable and appropriate security safeguards to protect the privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of GT ID accounts. You are responsible for the security of your GT ID account and for protecting your password. For example, do not write down or share your GT ID account password with anyone, and do not save your GT ID account information on a shared or public computer. Giant Tiger will not be liable for any losses, damages or expenses arising out of or relating to any unauthorized use of such account or password. If you believe your GT ID account has been compromised, immediately contact our Privacy Office.
J. Payment Information Security
We value the security and privacy of all transactions made with Giant Tiger. We use Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) technology to protect the security of your payment card information (“PCI”), such as debit and credit card information, as it is transmitted through us to our third party payment providers. All third party payment processors maintain PCI DSS and SOC2 compliance.
When you make a purchase, all of your Personal Information is encrypted, including credit and debit card number, name and address. SSL is the industry standard for secure commerce transactions. It prevents your Personal Information from being read by someone else as it travels across the Internet. While we implement the above security measures on our websites, there is always a risk of a breach of security safeguards.
K. Links to Other Websites
Our website may contain links to other websites, including content from other websites that is occasionally framed within Giant Tiger’s websites.
- For example, our website contains a link to Giant Tiger’s Facebook page. If you click this link (https://www.facebook.com/GiantTiger) it will take you away from the Giant Tiger website, to Facebook, where your information may be subject to Facebook’s privacy policies.
Please note that the privacy policies applicable to the collection of Personal Information on those other websites may be different from this one and we have no control or responsibility for the privacy practices of third party websites. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all websites you visit, before you share any Personal Information on a website.
L. Social Media Plug-Ins
We have installed on our websites various social media plug-in protocols, such as a Facebook “Like” button, which allow you to share your likes and interests in Giant Tiger’s products, services and promotions with your friends and contacts. When you click on a social media plug-in protocol link while on our website, such as the “Like” button, a link to our website may appear in the “Likes and Interests” section of your Facebook or other social media profiles.
Depending on your social media privacy preferences, your friends, contacts, or other individuals or organizations may be able to see the link and be led back to our website if they share your likes and interests or if they are interested in learning more about our products, services and promotions.
When you use a social media plug-in protocol link from our website, we may use information on your likes and interests in connection with the marketing and promotion of our business.
For more information about social media plug-in protocols, such as the Facebook “Like” button and its impact on your privacy rights, please visit the appropriate social media help center (e.g., Facebook’s Help Center at https://www.facebook.com/help/). To change your privacy settings on Facebook, including who can view your activity when using your Facebook account, visit: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy.
N. Contacting Us
If you have any questions or comments regarding a store experience at Giant Tiger, marketing preferences, product questions or general feedback, please contact our Customer Service team here: https://www.gianttiger.com/contact
If you have any questions or concerns regarding how we handle your Personal Information, or should you wish to access or update your information, you can contact our Privacy Office at the email or address below:
Giant Tiger Stores Limited
2480 Walkley Road
- Valentine's Day
- Living Room
- Kitchen & Dining
- Kids Furniture
- Storage Solutions
- Home Decor
Electronics & Entertainment
- Home Entertainment
- Cameras & Drones
- Computers & Accessories
- Phones & Mobile
- Wearable Tech
- Car Electronics
- Surveillance Systems
- Musical Instruments
Seasonal & Outdoors
- Spring & Summer Living
- Outdoor Cooking
- Outdoor Heating & Firepits
- Swimming Pools & Accessories
- Winter Living
- Heating & Cooling
- Household Supplies
- Office, Crafts & Party Supplies
- Window Treatments
- Automotive, Tools & Hardware
- Dresses & Skirts
- Handbags, Backpacks & Luggage
Brands & Collections
- Classic Editions
- Lily Morgan
- ACX Active
- Mountain Ridge
- Bella & Birdie
- Survival Gear
- Monkey Bars
- Kids & Baby
- Jewellery & Watches
- Family Fashion
- Toys & Games
- Fan Central
- Camping, Fishing & Hunting
- Backyard Toys, Sports Equipment & Accessories
- Fitness & Exercise
- Bikes, Ride-ons & Accessories
- Arts & Crafts
Health & Beauty
- Makeup & Accessories
- Personal Care & Grooming
- Health Care
- Hair Products
- Bath & Body
- Skin Care
- Baby Products
Flyers & Deals
- Online Deals
- What's New Online
- Weekly Flyer
- How to Save More
- Media Room
- Customer Service
- Shop our Site